Location: Mainly based in Islington (N1), occasionally Hampstead (NW3) and Chiswick (W4)
Type: Permanent - Full-time (including teaching a minimum of 3 evening classes per week)
Days: Mainly weekdays, occasional weekend days required
Salary: Experience Dependent
Proposed starting date: Late March 2021
Borough Kitchen is hiring a Director to lead our Cook School, Events and Online classes/demonstrations. The role includes teaching several Skills and Technique-based classes, driving Cook School strategy, and administering the Cook School. It also involves managing Cook School associates and freelance instructors and further developing our online cooking class program. We are looking for someone with a strong culinary education, teaching/demonstration experience, and a passion for cooking. Any retail experience would be an asset but not necessary.
- Teaching approximately 3 evening classes (3 hrs) and 1-2 daytime classes (90 mins) per week mainly in Islington and our Hampstead locations, and occasionally Chiswick.
- Creating the rota by scheduling our freelance instructors and cook school associates
- Driving the Cook School forward strategically, building on the incredible foundations put in place and reporting to the Borough Kitchen founders. A key area of growth will be through our online program, which is a different style to our current in-store classes
- Developing new classes to be taught either by yourself or our freelance instructors. Initially, you will focus on expanding our online class schedule and developing our private events calendar
- Administering the Cook School, including supervising/managing customer interaction and feedback, assisting with the marketing of the Cook School, and organising the other instructors/sous chefs
- Training all in-store managers and sales associates to market, sell seats and make changes to bookings for the Cook School
- Working with the online team and marketing manager to drive overall awareness and sale of classes. Includes assisting in developing Cook School-related content for our social media
- Creating new recipes and improving current recipes used to market our Cookshop products
- You will occasionally be required to support other parts of the business, including being part of the sales team on the shop floor or the online order fulfilment team in any capacity (e.g. during December when the Cook School classes are paused for the year)
The Ideal Candidate
You will be a highly-driven and motivated individual with the ability to drive the Cook School in a small and agile company and have gained proven experience teaching in a culinary environment.
- Loves cooking, food and teaching
- Able to work independently and as part of a team both collaboratively and flexibly
- Experience in culinary teaching and/or demonstration experience
- Exceptional culinary education
- Excellent communication skills with experience of working cross-functionally (including management, marketing and administration expertise)
- Proven strong business judgement and decision-making skills; ability to identify, prioritise and articulate the highest impact initiatives
- Recipe writing and testing experience
- Great attitude and attention to detail
- Basic IT skills (GSuite, Pages, Excel)
- Photography and/or Photoshop skills would be an asset
How to Apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documents in "pdf" (Adobe Acrobat) file format:
- In the email subject line, include the Position of the role for which you are applying
- Your CV
- Covering Letter introducing yourself, stating which position you would like to apply for and why you would be a great fit with our team
- Your Favourite Recipe: a dish you love to make for friends/family. Explain why you love this recipe and if this is a personal recipe or one from family or friends. Describe how to prepare it and what else you would serve alongside your dish.