The Bialetti Coffee Pot has become an icon of the industry - since the early 1950s to the present day, Bialetti have become synonymous with rich, distinctive stove top Italian coffee. Available in a range of sizes and two designs, there’s a perfect Bialetti for everybody. Standing tall on 80 years of experience, Bialetti have produced over 200 million coffee makers and allowed millions of people to enjoy great Italian coffee.
The Bialetti Moka Express
The Moka pot is a stove top coffee maker that produces coffee by passing boiling water pressurised by steam through ground coffee. It was patented in 1933 by the inventor Alfonso Bialetti. Featuring the distinctive 8 sided design that Bialetti have become famous for, the Moka Express is the quintessential Italian coffee maker. The octagonal shape creates optimal performance, allowing the coffee pot to diffuse heat perfectly and enhance the aroma of your coffee. Constructed with a food grade aluminium alloy, the Bialetti Moka express comes with a two year warranty. Hand wash only. Suitable for all stove tops excluding induction.
The Bialetti Venus
A more recent addition to Bialetti’s range, the Bialetti Venus coffee maker features a contemporary stainless steel design, making it suitable for all stove tops including induction but without compromising on Bialetti’s quality and commitment to excellent coffee. Crafted in high quality 18/10 stainless steel.
How to Use
Before first use:
- Remove all labels and packaging.
- Hand wash all parts with soapy water, then rinse and dry thoroughly so as to remove any residue.
- Fill the lower chamber with cold water to just below the safety valve - no higher.
- Insert the funnel and fill it with ground espresso (do not tamp, as this can stop the coffee from properly percolating). Remove any coffee grounds on the edge of the funnel.
- Tightly screw the upper part of the pot on to the base. Make sure it’s tight enough that no steam will escape from the seams.
- Select burner size to fit bottom of the pot. For gas stovetop, make sure the flame is not larger than bottom of the pot.
- Place pot on the stovetop until the water boils and coffee begins to come out of the centre post. There will be a gurgling sound during this process.
- When the top of the pot is full of coffee, remove from stove. Hazel brown foam appears just seconds before the coffee is completely done.
- Before pouring coffee, stir it in the upper chamber with a small spoon to equalize all the different coffee layers for optimum flavour. Pour and enjoy!
- Wash by hand with warm water, before drying thoroughly with a towel
- Do not reassemble the product until all parts are completely dry to avoid oxidation.
- Do not use soap or detergent - this can affect the taste of the coffee, and the build up of coffee oils improves the taste of your coffee over time.
- Do not use in dishwasher.
- Do not use steel wool or other abrasive products, as this can damage the body of your coffee maker.
Hints and Tips
- Use coffee ground specifically for a Moka coffee maker. Don't use too fine ground coffee, as this can clog the filter plate and disrupt the coffee-making process.
- Periodically check the funnel, the filter plate and the washer for wear. Over time, they may need to be replaced. You can purchase replacement parts from us.
- Never use the pot without water or boil the pot dry.
- Never use other contents besides coffee like teas, cacao powder or instant coffee as it will clog the filter plate.
- If the heat is too high, coffee may have a burnt taste. Getting the optimum temperature for brewing may take some trial and error.
- Store coffee grounds in an airtight container, away from sunlight. Coffee is always best when it’s freshly ground.
- Use filtered water for best coffee flavour.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Bialetti coffee makers work on Induction?
The Bialetti Venus coffee maker does indeed work on induction, but unfortunately, the Bialetti Moka Express does not, owing to the fact it’s constructed with aluminium and is therefore not magnetic.
Isn’t Aluminium dangerous?
The aluminium alloy that is used is a food-safe aluminium alloy.
Can you purchase spare parts for Bialetti coffee makers?
Yes; you can purchase spares of the funnels, gaskets and the filter plates for your Bialetti coffee maker in all sizes at Borough Kitchen.
Are Bialetti coffee makers dishwasher safe?
No, Bialetti does not recommend putting your coffee maker in the dishwasher as it can damage the parts and tarnish the finish, particularly of the Moka Express. We recommend hand washing with warm water and drying thoroughly. We also recommend avoiding soaps and detergents; allowing coffee oils to build up a patina within your coffee maker will improve the taste of your coffee over time.