The Ankarsrum Assistent Original Stand Mixer, though no larger than standard stand mixers on the market, holds up to 5kg of dough—making it perfect for batch baking. This recipe yields four baguettes.
Baguettes (in the Ankarsrum Mixer)
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp water (500 ml)
- 2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast or 25 g fresh yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 5-6 cups bread flour (600-720g), starting with 600g and adding up to 720g maximum if necessary
- Assemble the Assistent with the stainless steel bowl, dough knife and dough hook
- In a small saucepan, heat the water to 41°C (105°F) if using dry yeast or 37°C (98°F) if using fresh yeast. Dry yeast: Add the water and yeast to the Assistent bowl and mix on low speed till beginning to combine. Turn off Assistent and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Fresh yeast: Crumble the yeast into the bowl, add the water and start the Assistent at low speed until the yeast dissolves.
- Add olive oil, salt and 1/2 of the flour. Mix on low speed until dough begins to come together. You may need to help the Assistent by pulling a little on the arm a few times. Slowly add remaining flour until 1 cup (the extra 120g) is left. If dough is too sticky, add a little flour at a time until a soft, but not sticky, dough is achieved.
- Increase speed to medium. Set timer for 5 minutes and let knead.
- Cover the bowl with the bowl cover and let it rise until doubled in size, 12 hours.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface without kneading it.
- Dust a work surface with flour and divide the dough into four parts, shaping them into baguettes by spinning and pulling out each part. Use as much flour as necessary to keep the dough workable. Place the shaped dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover the baguettes with a towel and let them rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 275°C (525°F).
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Place baguettes on a wire rack to cool.
- If you want a crunchy crust on the baguettes, spray some water into the oven when you insert the bread. Open the oven door and release the steam after about 5 minutes
- Add different toppings to each baguette before baking for variety, for example, sesame seeds, nuts, or 'everything bagel' seasoning