Ingredients1.5kg floury potatoes (like Maris Piper)
Goose fat, olive oil or sunflower oil
40g butter, softened
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/ Gas 6 (if you're not already cooking the Roast Leg of Lamb recipe).
- Peel the potatoes, cut into even-sized pieces, and place into a pot of cold water. Cover and bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 8 minutes.
- Select a roasting pan large enough to hold the potatoes in a single layer, so they are not overcrowded. Add enough of your chosen fat or oil to cover the base of the pan (approx 5mm deep). Place in the oven to heat as the potatoes continue to cook on the hob.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and return them to the pot on a low heat. Gently toss to expel excess moisture—they should steam.
- Remove roasting pan from the oven and carefully place potatoes into the hot oil. Add the butter and sprinkle sea salt all over. Mix so every potato is slick and coated. Return to the oven and roast for 1 hour, tossing and turning every 20 minutes.
- Experiment by adding fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme to the oil to infuse, or add cloves of garlic (skin on) and roast alongside the potatoes. When finished, squeeze the garlic out of their skins—it will have a paste-like consistency—and mix with the potatoes.
- For a crispy, 'craggy' texture on the edges of the potatoes, shake the potatoes while you drain it in the colander to scruff up the edges.