Catherine and Helen's Marmalade
Homemade Marmalade is a great way to create something lasting from your Seville Oranges. Catherine and Helen, from our Chiswick store, recently spent some time making an extra-special batch of homemade marmalade.
It was so good, we had to share the recipe with you!
A hot tea or coffee
- 1kg Seville Oranges
- 1kg preserving sugar
- 1 fresh lemon
- 1.8ltr water
Preparation, cooking and storing
- Wash and peel the oranges using the peeler taking as little pith as possible.
- Finely shred and reserve.
- Cut the oranges and lemon in half and juice, reserve the juice.
- Put the orange and lemon halves in the cheesecloth and tie.
- Place in the saucepan and cover with water, bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook slowly for 2 hours.
- When cool, squeeze the liquid from the cheesecloth bag, mix with the reserved juice and add the shredded peel. You will need 1ltr of liquid in total.
- Mix the liquid with the sugar, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a rolling boil for 10 to 15 minutes.
- The marmalade is ready when it reaches 105c.
- Ladle into sterilised jars, seal and store until breakfast!