Ingredients1 medium cauliflower
30g butter, plus more for greasing the pan
Pinch of English mustard powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper
75g grated Cheddar, Gruyere or Parmesan cheese
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6 (if you're not already using the oven to cook the other dishes on Fran's Easter menu). Grease a rectangular roasting tin with butter.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Break cauliflower into small florets and place into the pot. Bring back to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes. Drain well and add to the roasting tin.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the 30g of butter. Add the flour, mustard powder and cayenne. Mix until blended into a roux and gently cook for a minute and remove from the heat. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly until the sauce is smooth.
- Return pan to the heat, whisking constantly, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cheese, reserving some, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and pour evenly over the cauliflower. Top with the remaining cheese and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until browned and bubbling.
- Add Panko bread crumbs tossed with a touch of olive oil over the remaining cheese in the final step before baking to give the dish a nice little crunch.
- You can prepare this dish a day in advance: On step 5, after topping dish with remaining cheese, cover and refrigerate. When you're ready to bake, bring the pan to room temperature and bake as instructed.