For the dressing:
- 125 ml good quality olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tsp chilli pepper flakes
- juice of 3 lemons
For the salad:
- 500g Kale, washed, then the hard ribs removed
- 150g finely grated parmesan
- 4 tbsp bread crumbs
- flaky sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and chilli pepper flakes in a large bowl; tear kale into pieces into the bowl and toss together with the dressing.
- Leave mixture to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature (or up to one day in the refrigerator) to allow kale to soften from the lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; then toss together with parmesan and bread crumbs; serve immediately.
- Kale is low in calories, high in fibre and a good source of vitamins A, C, K, B6 as well as folate and manganese.
- Store kale in a ventilated bag in the fridge: kale becomes increasingly bitter the longer it is kept, so eat within two or three days.