Ingredients250ml double cream
3 large eggs
110g caster sugar
80g ground almonds
35g plain flour
200g cherries, pitted
For the garnish (optional):
150g crème fraiche
15g sweet pistachio paste
25g chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Grease a 20-cm ovenproof dish with butter and dust with flour; scatter half the cherries on the bottom. Whisk the eggs with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the double cream, whisk, and then add the ground almonds and plain flour; whisk until there are no lumps.
- Pour the mixture into the tart tin and add the rest of the cherries.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- If making the cream, do it now.
- Chop the pistachios into small pieces, mix with the pistachio paste and the creme fraiche until you have a smooth consistency; set aside.
- The cake is done when it’s light golden on the top; when you tap the middle, it should feel set like a flan.
- Serve warm or cold, with a dollop of crème fraiche per slice.
- Use plain crème fraiche or Greek yogurt if you don’t have or want pistachios.
- Add honey and/or lavender to the cake when it comes out of the oven for extra flair