Classic American pancakes make for a quick, easy and delicious breakfast or brunch. Top with butter and maple syrup, fresh fruit, stewed fruit, jam or honey.
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- 300ml milk
- 50g butter — melted but not hot — plus more for frying
- For a fluffier pancake, add 1 tbsp baking powder
Makes 12 small pancakes or 4 large pancakes
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar; in a separate bowl mix together eggs, milk, and butter
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until mixture is combined; do not over-mix as this will result in tough pancakes
- Melt enough butter in a frying pan to lightly coat the bottom of the pan
- Pour 1/3 cup of batter into the pan to make small pancakes, or 1 cup to make large pancakes; fry on medium-high heat until the edges of the pancakes are set, then flip and fry until the bottom is golden
- Top with maple syrup, lemon & sugar, or stewed fruit!
- Add 1 tbsp of baking powder to make pancakes extra fluffy