Nut butters are wonderfully easy to make at home and much healthier than the store bought variety. With the exception of those among us with allergies, you’ll be hard pressed to find someone who doesn’t love peanut butter. Peanuts are inexpensive as nuts go and pack a serious health punch-rivalling fruit as a source of antioxidants. In fact, roasting peanuts will actually boost the antioxidant content by 22%!
We recently discovered how incredibly simple it is to make your own peanut butter at home with our series of in-store Vitamix demonstrations. So, in preparation for baking mania and with our nut butter inspiration still fresh, we decided we needed to ease our way into the frenzy with some simple to make and delicious cookies.
This recipe uses only 3 main ingredients. It’s particularly great when you’re pressed for time and is a perfect starting point for kids learning to bake. If you are using a store bought jar of peanut butter, try selecting one that is simply peanut butter, with no added sugar or preservatives.
For the peanut butter:
- 3 cups (420 g) unsalted roasted peanuts (for the home-made)
- OR 1-cup ready-made peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
- chocolate chips
- chopped peanuts
- sea-salt and sugar mix for sprinkling
For the rest:
- 1 cup light brown muscovado sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt (if using home made peanut butter)
Making Peanut Butter From Scratch Using Vitamix
- Pour nuts into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High, using the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades.
- After about a minute and once the butter begins to flow freely through the blades, the motor sound will change from a high pitch to a low labouring sound. Stop machine. Do not process for more than 1 minute after mixture starts circulating freely.
Making the Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 175 C or gas mark 4.
- In a medium bowl, stir peanut butter and sugar together until smooth. Beat in the egg then stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Line baking trays with baking paper.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place them 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking trays. Press a criss-cross shape into the top of each cookie using the back of a fork.
- Variations: incorporate your desired additions; mix chocolate morsels into the dough or chopped peanuts pressed onto the top of prepared cookie dough, bake as directed.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix through some roughly chopped chocolate for next level decadence or dust with a sugar & salt sprinkle before baking.
- Top with chopped peanuts
- Allow to cool for 15 mins