Victoria Plum Jam
450ml (3/4 pint) water
1.4kg granulated or jam sugar
15g (1/2 oz) butter
- Put the plums into a jam pan, saucepan or pot and add enough water to cover them. Bring to the boil, then cover the pan and reduce heat. Simmer gently until the fruit is tender, about 10-20 minutes. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Bring jam to the boil. Boil briskly for 10-15 minutes or until setting point is reached (a thermometer should read 105°C). Remove stones with a skimmer as they rise to the surface.
- Take the pan off the heat. Stir in the butter and use a skimmer to remove the foamy ‘scum’ that rises to the surface.
- Place jam into sterilised jars and cover. (To sterilise jars, wash with hot water and soap, then leave in the oven at 90-100C for 10-15 minutes.)
- You can de-stone the plums before cooking, if desired
- Feel free to get creative by adding herbs or spices as the plums stew, such as rosemary or cardamom